February 15, 2010

February 9


Obviously I didn't take this picture today. I went to a Relief Society activity about food storage. I have know that I always wanted to have food storage and when we buy a house, I am particularly interested in looking for lots of storage space for a place to keep that storage.

The lady who talked to us was Sister Wilkenson. She has a website, Kneadful Things which talks extensively about not having food storage, but food supply. To lots of people in the church, having 300 pounds of wheat in your garage for 30 years is enough. Well, it's not. I don't know if anything is going to happen in my lifetime where I would need long term food storage. But short term definitely. Last year when Hurricane Ike hit, people were without electricity here for weeks. And besides that, it is a commandment.

But Sis. Wilkenson talks about living off your food storage, and she does it. She has a year supply of food and then some for her family of 7. All of that food is in her house in a room that is basically a grocery store. She shops there and then replaces the food. She cans all kinds of things (even meat), waxes cheese, processes grains, etc.

I think what impressed me the most was that food storage isn't something you can expect to know what to do with when the time comes. You have to practice and get your family used to eating that food. Which is what I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment