July 25, 2010

July 13


There was a time in my life where I refused to drink store bought chocolate milk. If you don't want to be grossed out, don't read this.

I went to debate camp, which was full of liberals (Gasp!) and vegans. My roommate Liz was a vegetarian who became a vegan while she was there because of a lecture. She shared with me some things she had learned.

One thing that stuck with me was how they made chocolate milk. She said that now machines milk cows. They aren't tailored to the cows and some cows give more milk than other cows. When the cows who have less milk to give run out of milk, they end up giving blood and other fluids.

Everything is combined into one big vat. The actual milk is separated. Everything else (the blood and fluid) has chocolate added to it and it is sold to the public.

Now I don't really believe that is true now. I don't think I believed it then, but I didn't really want to take the chance.

Obviously I am over it now, because I got some chocolate milk with my donuts.

1 comment: